Marco has lived in District 9 for 30years. He has been actively involved in the District 9 neighborhood, communityand non-profit endeavors. Marco turned a passion for San Antonio into a small business career. Marco Barros is an effective job creator with a proven record of public service. His decades of experience in the private sector and his involvement in issues affecting our community have equipped him to be an effective San Antonio City Council member.
EDUCATION AND BUSINESS BACKGROUND
- Marco holds a BA in Journalism and 21 hours of MBA studies at UT-El Paso.
- He has worked in the private sector since 1984.
- For twenty years, Marco was the President/CEO of the San Antonio Area Tourism Council, a private enterprise dedicated to advancing San Antonio as a premier destination spot.
- Marco manages his own staff and budget, while also helping 250 plus Tourism Council businesses and non-profits maintain strong fiscal discipline.
VOLUNTARY COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Marco has volunteered to work on the major issues facing all San Antonians, including neighborhood issues like transportation, infrastructure and economic development. His leadership on these issues includes:
- Former Board Member focused of security of the Bluffview Camino Real HOA
- Board Member of the Texas Travel Industry Association
- Former Board Member of the Texas Department of Economic Development, Tourism Advisory Committee
- Texas Honorary Consul for the Government of Chile in 2013
- In January of 2015, Barros was elected Chairman of the San Antonio Airport Advisory Commission that advises the City of San Antonio on aviation issues. He has served six years prior to becoming Chair.